I don’t take days off from work very often, but when I do, here’s my list of favorite things to do, although I don’t usually do them all in the same day off. (If I tried, then it would feel like work, and then I would be mad, and the day would be ruined. Okay, not ruined. I’m not at work, right?)
5. Have no schedule. It’s great just to do what you want, go where you want, on a whim for once. For me, weekends are typically spent doing stuff I don’t have time to do during the week like cleaning, grocery shopping, paying bills, catching up on correspondence, doing laundry, getting gas in the car, checking my post office box, going to the bank… the list goes on for life maintenance. While I might think about things I’d like to do as the day off approaches, I refrain from actually making a schedule for it, and consciously vow just to go with the moment, the feeling, the inspiration that comes that day.
4. Go somewhere or do something I’ve been wanting to but have been putting off. For me, that might be going to a gallery, going to the ocean, trying a new restaurant for lunch (less expensive than dinner, so if I don’t like it, I’m not out that much money), spending time exploring something on the web uninterrupted (nothing is more wonderful than getting to concentrate on one thing for a nice stretch of time; nice to get away from the ADD of the workplace), taking a drive or day trip to a place I’ve never been before.
3. Be totally lazy. It’s so nice just to stay in pajamas, slug around in slippers, not do my hair, not put on make up, not do the dishes, not straighten up, not work on projects I should. In all honesty, I get bored with this after a while, but for a few slovenly hours, I really like it.
2. Take a nap. Or a few. Nothing is more decadent than doing a little reading, taking a nap, eating a little, taking a nap, stretching and wandering aimlessly around the house, and taking a nap.
1. Sleep late. Okay, actually, sleeping late is the most luxurious thing for me. I’m a light sleeper (which means I don’t always sleep great), so to get a couple extra hours is the best vacation, even if it’s just for one day.
Honorable mention: Bubble bath. (Just don’t nap in the bathtub.)
What are your favorite day-off activities?